View Single Post
Old 01-01-2012, 10:56 AM   #80
special-K
Special Order

Re: GMC Trim Levels Q?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPAPA View Post
Thanks Tim for your knowledge on the GMC's and for starting this thread..Thx also to all of you that has contributed to the thread as well.. my reasons for wanting to know is because at Car Shows a lot of people ask me questions about the GMC's and I simply cannot answer a lot of them.. I have a note book binder of info on Chevy's and now I will have a binder on GMC's..again I thank all who share in this great posting.. gopapa Larry
I posted this because I realized I really didn't know exactly how things went through these years with GMCs. Chevys get this question asked every month or two and anyone who reads through such threads should know the Chevy lowdown. But,I have been leaning more and more towards GMCs in recent years and I really should know this stuff. Factory Stock has been a great help in this thread,as well as all the contributions adding up to making this a valuable resource for our GMC brethren. I see this era of GM truck as the transition between GMCs & Chevys being a different truck under the same skin to being the same truck with different markings. Even with trim,GMC still followed a somewhat separate path form Chevy up to '72.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 71gmcburb View Post
my 71 has a black dash, body colored glovebox door, and "custom" script above the front door handles also has the GMC V-8 1500 fender emblems
Your glovebox door is body color because the interior is Olive. Dark Olive is the color those parts were painted if the vinyl was Olive. The same is true with a few other paint & vinyl color matches,like red and blue. I'm thinking your dash bezel has been replaced. It would have been Dark Olive from factory.

This brings up an interesting thought about Suburbans. With Chevys,the highest trim level was Custom (67-70) and Custom Deluxe (71-72)...both the mid-level trim. Did GMCs follow this? I know in '72 Chevy and GMC were on the same page,but I believe GMC Suburbans were available as Super Customs prior to '72,yet they would have the mid-level (Custom) trim,right? Am I wrong? Were all top-of-the-line GMC Suburbans Customs?

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 01-01-2012 at 07:00 PM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote