View Single Post
Old 01-02-2012, 07:49 PM   #23
Z1971

Re: 52 Weekends Project

LEAK WEEK. I had some great weather over the long New Years weekend so I decided to skip a couple of the inside projects and take care of a few of the 20 or so leaks.

I have transmission leaks everywhere. The th350 is painted grey and looks like it there was a rebuild within the last decade. The lines look original and are leaking at both ends. They are stripped at the nuts. I have some damage to the inspection cover and pan, I assume was caused by hitting something on the road.

I learned my lesson when I changed the front brake lines and picked up a flare nut wrench for the trans lines.

I ordered a new trans pan with the credits I earned from Advanced Auto when I bought the steering box and waterpump. It is chrome so I should gain 20 horsepower at least. The vacuum modulator was only a couple of bucks so I decided to change it even though I could not tell if it was leaking. I also ran to LMC and picked up new trans lines.

I had to unbolt the transmission from the support and jack it up about an inch to get to the rear bolts. The old lines slide out pretty easy, but it took about 10 trips under the truck to get the new lines to line up with the radiator.

I gave it a short test drive, and so far no leaks. You might see a little red in the pictures, that is the grease I used to hold the gasket in place. I decide to hold off on replacing the leaking speedo cable. I need to pull the instrument panel to replaced burned out bulbs so I will do it then.