View Single Post
Old 01-03-2012, 04:27 PM   #13
hairlesshobo

Re: tablet for head console???

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmydean View Post
The crossovers built into most amps are ok, but for efficiency sake, I like to pre-amp filter so the amp isn't concerned with what it doesn't need to be concerned about.

So to answer the question (that was wicked buried in your post):

Any time you are putting a full range signal into an amp the is not going to amplify the full range, it is not working to its full potential. The line driver is only a nice feature, it's the pre-amp filtering and splitting of the stereo signal that I am after.
Yeah, sorry I tend to ramble when it comes to talking audio.

I see now why you chose to go the line driver route. I don't blame you at all, it definitely makes things more consistent. Plus using it as an active splitter helps keep from losing signal due to passive splitting. I've never thought of it that way. Thanks for the eye opener.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmydean View Post
And the reason I went with the tablet rather than a standard linux box is I just don't need the horsepower. I have a linux netbook I can sync with the tablet if I want to, but I just don't need a full box.

Besides, its a LOT easier to mount a tablet.
Yeah mounting is one concern of mine. I know where I'm gonna mount the screen, but I'm already starting to run out of space behind the seat to mount amps. I'm gonna have to come up with something clever to mount the car PC in there as well.