View Single Post
Old 01-05-2012, 05:19 PM   #4
mikesacs

Re: Looking for dash gauge cluster restoration thread

I just refurbished mine and I'll give you a few tips. It's easy to disassemble as long as you go slow. Some of the screws have different threads so keep them in different piles. I used a plastic polish on the face. After about 20 minutes, it looked like glass. Use soap, warm water, and a tooth brush to get all the white paint out of the grooves in the clear plastic. Once it is all clean use water based paint (not oil paint) and just wipe it in the grooves with a paper towel. It will look messy at first but keep wiping with the paper towel folded so you avoid the grooves.

The gauge faces can be cleaned with a soapy rag and wipe them dry.

The odometer number stickers are very fragile. Be careful or you'll wipe them off.

If your speedometer needle pops off easy, I would disassemble to clean and lube the odometer gears. Use a light grease. If it does not pop off easy, you run the risk of breaking the pin below the needle. I broke 2 out of 4 when I did it.

Check the speedometer and odometer by using a cordless drill in reverse. I cut a ink pen open and used the 1/8" tube to go from drill to speedo. I'd do this before and after. You can check what speed your drill runs in MPH and confirm that you reasymboled it correctly. Many times the odometer gear is stripped due to hard grease.

Clean the idiot light lenses with soap and water.
mikesacs is offline   Reply With Quote