View Single Post
Old 01-09-2012, 09:23 PM   #2
Cue-Ball

Re: no low end. can't advance timing enough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewerracing View Post
Now I cannot advance it anymore as the vacume advance is hitting intake.
It's easy to fix that. You can either rotate the plug wires around the distributor or go to the trouble to remove it and put it back in another position. But I doubt that's your problem.

Quote:
Could the weights and springs throw my timing off that much at low rpm?
It would take some *seriously* weak springs to have centrifugal timing advanced at idle. Besides, if that was the case you'd have TOO MUCH timing, but you're complaining about not enough.

Quote:
I believe the vac advance is good as I just changed it to see no difference at all.
Does the vacuum advance work or not? It should be easy to tell using a Mity-Vac or even just sucking on the vacuum tube with your mouth. If the linkage moves then you know it works. If you use a Mity-Vac you can tell exactly when it comes on. Assuming it's working it should be very easy to tell. Unplug the vacuum advance and the idle should drop - plug it in and the idle will go up (only if using manifold vacuum. Ported vacuum doesn't work at idle so there will be no change).

Have you actually set the timing with a timing light, or are you just twisting around the distributor and going by ear? You really need to properly time the thing, checking your initial and total timing and checking a few different points to get an idea of your advance curve. Just changing stuff without any reference point isn't going to make things better.
Cue-Ball is offline   Reply With Quote