View Single Post
Old 01-11-2012, 05:07 PM   #192
McMurphy

Re: Not Another Rebuild Thread....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan's Classic View Post
Nice work on the gauge bezel and I never would have thought of the hood release. How much pull does it take to pull the latch? I was thinking a solenoid might work depending on the pull rating.
My hood is currently in pieces, I ran out of steam posting pics last night Alan sorry. As for the pull pressure needed to pop the hood I cannot say yet at this time. Without the tension pressure of being latched against the male post, and of course the bends in the cable from the hood latch assembly to where it will be mounted in the cab will all factor in (if those 8th grade science classes are keeping me in line... LOL). Thanks for looking at the guage bezel too. I plan on filling the edges with bondo, skimming the top, then when it is fully dried, using my Dremmel to reshape the channels. Kind of tedious detail work, but what the hey, keeps me from playing in traffic !!

Quote:
You know they make a solenoid called a trunk release solenoid that is really strong. I use them on the orginal set up to open the orginal latches on my 57's doors before changing over to the bear claw latches.. Only has about 3/8 of an inch of pull though if I remember right, been about 10 years since I made the change.
No sir, I did not know that.
Like I said, I looked for a mod thread for this and not finding one decided to wing it in a traditional Irish fashion !! Besides that, a solinoid would need wiring and I am going to have my hands full with doing my hideaway headlights as it is. I am no Jeeenuss after all !!

Quote:
Nice work!!
I was in Fairbanks last week, I wish I would have looked you up.
Oh well, there's always next time

Keep up the good work!

I'm waiting for spring, we have gotten 6 plus feet of snow and I don't have any shelter to "do work" lol
Posted via Mobile Device
I would have liked that too! Shoot me a PM next time you are a day or two out, and I will toss you my phone number so we can make that happen! Thanks for taking a look at my build.... it is a ton of fun.

I will post more pics of what my hood is starting to look like, and my delivery from the UPS gal last night!! Glad I have a 4 day weekend next....gots lots to do !

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Table Of Contents Added to Page1
McMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote