View Single Post
Old 01-11-2012, 11:26 PM   #195
McMurphy

Re: Not Another Rebuild Thread....

Ok.... about the hood....
What I thought was going to be a cool little project, turned into a real task.
Simple plan, seperate the turn signal panel from the rest of the hood; modify that panel and gain access to the front p-side corner of the hood to fix a mean dent.
Well getting that darned panel off was a heck of a job.
I have detailed photos if anyone is thinking of attempting this that show all the upper and lower spot welds you will have to contend with, and will gladly share in how I did it.

After that though it was smooth sailing and I am very happy with what turned out.

#1 is the area of the hood under consideration, specifically.

#2 ok the seam sealer was cool, putty blade was helpful in getting that out, but spot welds in there? How did that happen?

#3 much patience, and not too much damage or anger control later and they are finally apart! Yay team !!

#4 the cut center, and a test fabrication in the turn signal well for what I have in mind. Someone on this board in their sig has a quote about making a part knowing that if you goof it up, the next attempt will be better.... well this first attempt will lead to an improved actualization of what I have in mind. I plan on covering the turn signals and "grill"-ing in that center. More on that later as I either find more of the square grill-mesh-screen I already used, or I find something I like better.
I am hoping to find something I like better... this first one looks too swamprat/mudder motif for me. I am looking for more of a sports car air intake sort of look.

#5 Yay... Miss UPS driver found my house finally with the patch parts! No shortage of stuff to do this weekend after all !!
Attached Images

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Table Of Contents Added to Page1
McMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote