View Single Post
Old 01-14-2012, 11:38 PM   #48
argonaut

Re: 66 4x4 my sons new project

Got a few more things done on the pickup today. Seems like I've been working on this thing non-stop every weekend since early December.

Anyway, I got the reinforcement plates drilled and bolted in the way I wanted today. Worked out perfectly. I also finished putting new grade 8 bolts in all the locations where I removed fatigued rivets from the crossmembers and frame.

I wanted to paint the whole frame but I just didn't have the time to strip the frame myself right now. I'm trying hard to get this truck fully assembled so that I can get it out of my grandmother's house and move it to my Mom's house where I'll be able to keep working on it for a few months... and then hopefully get it done the way I want it.

I dropped the 65 big window cab and the 62 front end onto the frame. The cab is positioned correctly but I relocated the front end off of the donor truck in one piece and it isn't quite lining up right. You can see in the photos that the front end is cocked up a little bit. In a couple of weeks I'll completely disassemble the front end and build it back up using the best (read: least rusty) of all the donor parts that I have available.

Man I LOVE this grill. It is may favorite of the 60-66 grills. Sa-weet!

Threw a bumper on to get a feel for how it will look someday when its all together and I'm done. This light blue color is growing on me. I think I might have the truck repainted in this color with a white or cream top, grill and bumpers.

Just messing around I put a couple BFG 32" tires next to it. I think a tall knobby tire like this will look good on the truck. The final plan is for 16x6.5" steelies painted black with some 265x85R16 or something close to that tire size. I want some 62 style hub caps also but people want a fortune for them. I saw a set of four go on ebay for over $100 today. Its just not in my budget right now... bigger fish to fry.

I hope to get the bed and doors on tomorrow. Stay tuned.

1972 K5 Blazer CST, Turquoise
1966 K20 Short Fleet Pickup, Big Ugly
1964 C10 Short Fleet, Gertrude

2001 Porsche 911 Carrera
1996 Ford Bronco XLT
1980 Jeep Wagoneer

2008 Honda CBR1000RR
2005 Honda RC51
1981 Honda CB750C

No dis-assemble Johnny Five! No dis-assemble!
argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote