View Single Post
Old 01-19-2012, 07:05 PM   #15
djunkie

Re: '87 New engine project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole Trickle View Post
No reason for smog consideration

Waiting to install my headers and exhaust. I'm gonna do 3:42's and a posi pretty quick here.

I probably won't yank you until I get a new cam and heads.
I'm pretty confident it's gonna pass smog. I can already tell its burning cleaner than the old motor as there's no soot building up on my rear quarter panels like the old motor did and it passed. I'm pretty happy with it all in all. It's makes gobbs of torque. It's a lot of fun stop light to stop light. I can roll out to 10 mph and mash the gas and it'll light up the tires all they way through 2nd gear if I stay in it. It climbs the hills around here a lot better and it does put you in your seat. I can tell though that at the upper rpm's it still runs out of cam and heads. It's definitely better but better heads and a nice roller cam would have helped. I just didn't have the extra $2k it was probably gonna cost for those. Good thing is I'm kind setup for them if I wanted to swap them out as I've got the late style block that's setup for a roller. But at this point I'd probably only be gaining another 50 or so hp so I'm in no hurry to spend that extra money. Gas mileage so far is about the same as the old motor. That should get better as it loosens up and I get over driving it hard. I've got a 1000 miles on it already and I can tell its getting better and better. Probably put it on the dyno in another month or 2. I just wanna make sure I got enough fuel pressure so I don't run this thing lean.
Posted via Mobile Device
djunkie is offline   Reply With Quote