View Single Post
Old 01-27-2012, 07:14 PM   #711
Bruce88

Re: It’s Just A Pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by camrycurt View Post
This tuning information is great, and I can't wait for the rest of the write-up.

Clear, understandable information like this on how the systems under the hood operate is gold for the suburban, in-over-their-head, non-mechanics like me. If I stare at it long enough I'll be able to figure out how to patch the rust in my fender, but I'll never be able to noodle through how a carburetor works and what I need to do to get mine humming.

Thanks so much for your invaluable help!
Hi Curt

I’ve seen some good mechanics that got what I would call tunnel vision and say there problem with a particular engine tune is lets say the (carburetor) and didn’t check out all the systems that effect it performing right and end up making adjustments or changing carb parts trying to solve it. I’m writing this from the perspective (hopefully) of you starting a tune on your engine in your own garage. The simple tests that I talk about, I believe are within your ability to do with some basic tools and your eyes and if you perform them before you start making adjustments to your carburetor, the odds are that very minor adjustments will be needed to make the carburetor do its part. Some times its a little tid bit of basic information and how it applies and (kabam) you will understand how your carburetor works and be able to figure out what adjustments you need to do. So don’t write your self off as never being able to do it. There’s always the possibility (smile)