View Single Post
Old 02-03-2012, 09:53 PM   #112
Maximus

Re: My Build - 1955 2nd Series Short Bed Stepside

So i've been dabbleing in the issue i have of warm starting problems, and ran into an issue. I thought the electric fan was on during starting, but its not. The nice people at EZ Wiring made sure that all power is cut off except to the starter during cranking, as it should be. So this left me with the question, why is it goofy to start. SLOW cranking, but it would eventually speed up and start. So...
I hooked an Ohm meter to the alternator and it was only pulling 10-15 amps and the battery was at a full charge, nowhere near maxing out the alternator, and my battery is a 2 month old 800CCA gold top Duralast, so that's not the issue... there is only one more piece, and that's the starter. I pulled it off and took it down to the local parts house to test it. it passed the test (under no load) but sounded like hell. Since it was at least 10 years old, and had an unknown amount of wear, I was quick to replace it. The truck started fine so far but time will tell, im thinking it was the starter...
Again, on the bright side, i drove the piss out of the truck. Heavy exhaust leak still present, putted around for a good half hour to give it a 'warm engine crank test' and so far all issues seem to be gone.

It was tricky because the old starter, if able to start the car within two cranks would work fine, but as soon as it was really stressed on 4 or 5 rotations (the engine doesn't want to fire as quick when warm) the starter slowed down to a crawl. The new starter cranked like a champ after the engine was warm and all is well for now...

I also ordered new bushings for the front trans-am sway bar and Hotchkis lowering springs for my Firebird/Camaro subframe, so I can get the ride height im looking for. Hopefully next weekend ill get the new springs on the truck

Oh yea, and I replaced the dash bulbs with #57's, the guy at the store sold me #55's the first time (tiny dash light part #) and I think the 57's are more durable, but all I know is they haven't blown out yet, so that issue may be resolved too heh.

Maybe this weekend I will get to the rubber around the doors... maybe...

its just so darn fun to drive I might put off the door rubber and just enjoy it for the weekend.

Last edited by Maximus; 02-03-2012 at 10:01 PM.
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote