View Single Post
Old 02-06-2012, 07:49 AM   #382
special-K
Special Order

Re: Whose on Steelies? Post 'em up!

It seems people are trying to change the definition of "Steelie" to any wheel made of steel,now that alloys or styled steels have become the standard on newer vehicles. There was a time (like forever,since spoke wheels) when the standard wheel was a steel wheel that either came with a hub cap (what folks call "dog dish") or wheel covers,which some call "full wheel covers" when they are actually all "full" because they all "cover" the "wheel". These OEM-type wheels that came on everything is what car guys gave the name "Steelie" to. Then,in the '60s came "Road" wheels and "Rallye" wheels,both were a sport wheel that came on performance cars. Road wheels were given different names by car makers but were steel "mag style" wheels. We all know what Rallye wheels are. They are European inspired wheels with more or larger vent slots painted silver. Steelies were made in wider widths by wheel companies as well. Then came wagon wheels and other styled wheels and they all have their own names,too. The name steelie gives what was at one time just a wheel it's own name so were can say,"I have 8" steelies",rather than having to say 8" factory style,OEM-type,stock center,or hub cap style wheels.
I'm not trying to be a jerk,but names are a part of our language for specific identification to save us from having to use descriptions so everyone knows what we are talking about. So,let's keep it that way...aight?

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote