View Single Post
Old 02-19-2012, 07:24 PM   #69
VWNate1

Thumbs up Re : Wreckers are so AWESOME.

I AM sorry but , at the time I could only have one truck and it needed to be able to haul things , that lets out a Wrecker .

It was an old , beat to crap 3600 Chevrolet (naturally) with a 235 , Muncie SM420 tranny and a PTO that reversed to raise or lower the hook , this meant two levers sticking up out of the back of the bed , one clutch and the other the PTO Gears , I doubt OSHA would allow it these days , it was SO crude , it has a " Murphy Plate " instead of slings ~ care was needed or it'd bend the crap out of the towed vehicles .

My business partner back then , was a F#!d Man from the 1960's , one day he scored a sweet deal on the pristine one owner , low mileage '59 Brand 'F' Wrecker from the Alignment Shop across the street from our Shop , ($500 IIRC) and said he'd gotten an offer of $1,000 for the Chevy ~ I pitched a shytefit and told him I'd consider it after he'd worked the F-350 a few months , each time he took that sweet , clean , cherry V-8 powered rig out , it had some sort of problem , I took great pride in towing it back in my wheezing , rattling , clattering old '55 Chevy , believe you me ! .

Good thing we didn't get it lettered , it sold in one day the last time it stranded him and he never looked back , I still do and it's been 30 years , I don't even have any pictures doggone it .

I towed junkers & freshly painted cars back and forth the Mojave Desert with that old rig , for years & years , it never left me afoot , always started right up hot or cold , got good fuel economy so on and so forth....

Sorry for rambling / babbling but I'm an old man who loves the BOWTIES ! .
'69 C/10 shortbed sidemount survivor 250 L6 W/ 350TH
VWNate1 is offline   Reply With Quote