Thread: Rods 57
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2012, 06:39 PM   #182
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Re: Rods 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
fiberglass fillers are waterproof, but porous. you do need to prime it before rust sets in.
also don't sand any finer than 120 grit, that gives any filler over the fg filler ''bite''.
This is a build thread and I really don't want to take up Rod57 thread with this but he asked me for my opinion by name and I gave it. That being said I have to respond

Sorry but if its porous its not water proof.lol If I have to prime it to make it water proof whats water proof the primer or the filler? That is not a dig at you but other people told me the same thing and then I say if its waterproof will it rust under that filler? The say not if you prime it.lol Regular filler is water proof once I epoxy primer on top of it, the epoxy primer creates the barrier not the filler. These fillers still have talc in them and talc absorbs moisture. At best it is water resistant.

Filler on bare metal is fine has been done for years, I use to do it myself until I realized the benefits of epoxy primers for home builders. I use duraglass exclusively now and it does mix easier than kitty hair, marglass imo is close to duraglass but I still like duraglass a little better, but I don't know about the far superior talk. Once applied I think the durability is about the same and that's what I was speaking to not mixing or sanding but durability.

Like I said before I think its really not needed if you put in the time to metal finished I still do it because old habits die hard. People use it over welds because they may have pin holes in their welds. If you clean your metal before welding you should not have pin holes. When I'm done with the duraglass its really thin, if I need more than a 16th of filler I do more metal work, but that's just me and the way I was taught. I've seen people use lots more and nothing has ever happened no cracks or anything, but thats the standard I go by, everybody has different standards. Oh I also may use it in areas that originally had lead filler from the factory as a replacement because if its strength. I'm pretty nutty when it comes to this stuff so maybe I'm not the one to ask.

Last edited by Kabwe; 04-17-2012 at 10:33 PM.
Kabwe is offline   Reply With Quote