View Single Post
Old 02-23-2012, 10:56 PM   #1
jeffro2

1964 RC Chevy Crew Cab (scratchbuilt)

Had a couple requests to see the buildup of this Crew Cab, so here goes.

This truck is done, mostly. It could stand to have the cab rebuilt, but I'm not ready to tear back into it, just yet.

This is a picture of the truck I found on this forum, it is photoshopped, but at the time, I did not know that, or even that a 64 CrewCab existed. After some reading, I found out all kinds of things about them. Anyway....

It was love at 1st site. (my wife says I have a huge garage of cars and trucks in my head, that I love. , and its true)

There are only so many ABS hard bodies out there. If you want something different then a Toyota Hilux, Ford Sidestep,Toyota Tundra, various Jeep bodies, and some Land Rovers, Hummers, and FJ's and and an 80's style Chevy, you are out of luck. So you learn to build what you want..

This is the 80's Chevy body. You can make Suburbans, CrewCabs, Blazers, and a Van,(I have the only Chevy Van that size scale in the world, that I have found so far)

So here goes...

I did use a left over fender from a clod buster chevy body for an experiment.

Made a quick grill

Tacked these 3 pieces together with my pipe cleaner cement. (its like putting plastic water pipes together)

More pieces from a cutup body..Making the hood

Tacked that all together..

Made the openings in the hood

Started on the Cab

A quick mock up, to see how it ws looking.

The next step was the bed, and there again I started with leftover clod buster chevy bed pieces.

And I think I will stop here tonight..

I'm hoping with the talent and skills you guys have with your real trucks, that if you want a replica of your pride and joy, its fairly easy to build these things. I just started this part of my RC hobby about 2 years ago.. and I'm not one of the better builders.

Last edited by jeffro2; 02-23-2012 at 10:58 PM. Reason: forgot Blazers, Duh ..
jeffro2 is offline   Reply With Quote