View Single Post
Old 03-05-2012, 11:07 PM   #29
widewhite70

Re: Project: "just a little rust repair"

Ok since I haven't put much of a timeline on here of the truck here we go. I got the truck in the spring of 2002 when I was 15, I wish I had the pictures of it sitting in the weeds when we first got it. The bed laying upside down beside it, no doors..leaned against a tree, front clip off. I stood there looking at it thinking "what am I going to do with this thing??"
It was at the house of a guy my dad worked with. 3 trips later we had it hauled to town. By the fall of 2002 we had it on the road driving just in time for me to get my license, I drove it this way until the fall of my senior year of high school in 2005 and we decided to put a 327 and a 4 speed in it and thats when my truck turned into my hot rod project.
We flat blacked it and did the gloss black flames, and a few years later I made the wide whites after I saw a video of how to make them online and painted my steelies red.

I cruised it that way until last fall of 2011 and asked my neighbor who is a SUPER skilled fabricator if he would help me "do a little rust repair". Thats where this project started to take off. While doing the rust repair and me planning on fixing the rust and driving it, my Grandpa says "you should take that Corvette suspension in the barn and put that under this truck and you'll really have something.

So thats pretty much what started all of this and that led into the round tube chassis, shortening the bed,raising the bed floor, cut the drip rail off and moved it back about 1/2", smoothed the gutter on the firewall, fixed some rust on the doors, built an aluminum fuel tank to fit the chassis, had to get wheels made to have the right back spacing and offset for the Vette drivetrain, and its still a work in progress and we hope to have it fired up and test driving in a month or less.
I have had the truck for almost 10 years now and never dreamed that it would have turned into anything like this. But the way its going now is what I always had in the back of my mind of how i would have wanted it to look.
Stay tuned for the updates.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=697902
widewhite70 is offline   Reply With Quote