View Single Post
Old 03-27-2012, 09:10 PM   #178
chevy_man5
GMC's n H.D.'s too!

Re: '60 GMC 4x4 Long Fenderside

If I shoot some oil in the cylinders, then test it again, and the numbers go up, then it needs rings throughout right?? Just double checking.

I cannot believe how much antifreeze this 305 holds. When we changed the lower heater core hose, we drained out 5 gallons, yes, 5 gallons of fluid. When putting it back in, I have put back in 6 gallons so far. I think it's about done though. I looked it up in the manual, and it says that the capacity is 32 quarts. 8 gallons! I looked it up in another manual, and the 396 only uses 24 quarts, and the 454, 20 quarts. LOL

Also, I need to ask something of other 305A owners. I need to know how long the oil dipstick is from the tip to where it seats on the tube please. The manual says that the 305A takes 6 quarts of oil with the filter. I poured one quart into the filter, and 5 into the engine, and it is still not on the dipstick. When we drained the old oil out, I think we got just under 8 quarts out of it. Is there an extra large oil pan option? I haven't seen anything that talks about it, but who knows!

I got to thinking about the no start issue. We didn't fill the bowl on the carb. I looked in the sight plug, and couldn't see any gas in there at all. This weekend, We will take the fuel line off of the carb, and turn it over, to see if the pump is even working, then fill the bowl, and try some more if it is!!

Thanks!!

1960 GMC 4x4 Babe (the Blue Ox) - Build Thread
chevy_man5 is offline   Reply With Quote