View Single Post
Old 03-30-2012, 12:23 AM   #20
Maxxd07

Re: Craziest thing you've done to "just get home"

I drove a 79 chevy 4x4 for a year during college, and it used to be the old mans rusted out farm truck that I stuck my peppy 327 in along with a 4" lift and 33s. It had 2.76 gears with a 4spd in it so it liked highway cruising. Before college started I left work and drove the 350 miles to the town college was in to look at apartments. As I turned off interstate at about 1:30am with about 10 miles to go, something felt funny, like a clunking and jerking, but I made it to my buddies place where I stayed just fine. As I got out I could smell gear oil so I reached underneath and could move my driveshaft up and down, the front pinion bearing went on vacation and was nowhere to be found! Went to bed and looked at some places to live on saturday along with talking to every repair shop in town. They all said the same thing, next week sometime and of course who carries any 2.76 gears anyways?(Different carrier than 3.73s which could be found). Well lucky for me my buddies gf worked at a hotel and got me some towels. We found another truck jack so we had one on each side, pulled the axles and carrier, beat the pinion out with a hammer, and installed everything back in less the pinion. I then covered the pinion hole with a bunch of towels and half a roll of duct tape, filled with oil and drove home in 4wd. Thank goodness the 205 didn't have a slipyoke on it or this plan wouldn't have worked. It was a looonnngg drive since I stayed at 55mph (speed limit 75mph on interstate), and I would stop and check the oil in the rear end every 50 miles or so. At least I made it to work on monday!
Couple 70s
One 68

Last edited by Maxxd07; 03-30-2012 at 12:28 AM.
Maxxd07 is offline   Reply With Quote