View Single Post
Old 03-31-2012, 11:50 AM   #42
old Chevy guy

Re: Craziest thing you've done to "just get home"

Since I first saw this post I knew I had to write something in but cant figure out which adventure to write about,believe me when I tell you theres been a few in 32 years of driving. I should also mention that I can only think of one vehicle Ive had that I paid over $1000 dollars for on the initial purchase and many were $500 and down. So one time me and a buddy were driving my 69 nova about 75 miles into a neighboring state to go to a restoration parts place to pick up parts for our current projects. The nova had a 250 and was going strong but suddenly started to stammer like it was running out of gas,but it was ok if we just went slower,progressivly the problem got worse until we couldnt go any slower and the car just quit on the highway. We sat a minute and tried it and it starts but stalls about 20 seconds later. After a few such attempts we get out to assess the situation. Theres gas clearly visable in the inline filter but not getting into the carb.We start looking for some tools but have none. finaly after a thorugh search the only thing we could turn up was a factory tire iron, like the one you use on a bumper jack. Well it so happend it was in like new pristine shape and I was able to use it as a screwdriver to take the top off the carb. Turns out the seat for the needle had gotton loose and threaded out till the float was pinned on the bottom of the bowl holding the needle valve shut. Tightened it up put the carb back together and was on our way. Another time that same car made a loud bang on the highway Like something came off,followed by a violent shaking that felt like the whole thing was going to come apart. Stopped to discover somehow one blade broke off the fan and went careaning through the engine compartment and was gone. The motor was so out of balance it was undrivable. This time I had a handfull of tools and took the fan off for the ride home. Had that fan trick happen on a 72 nova with a 250 once too,but that time when the blade that came off it cut the top radiator hose,knocked the neck out of the radiator and impaled itself in the side of my almost brand new battery. Had to leave it in a park and ride lot and get a ride that day.
old Chevy guy is offline   Reply With Quote