View Single Post
Old 04-08-2012, 03:28 PM   #46
HotRod C/10

Re: Started Another Gauge Restoration - Speedwarning - Ongoing

great info!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcb-1 View Post
had some extra time this weekend to start another gauge resto project. this cluster was in decent shape, but needed a facelift. you may remember, I had a speed warning speedo that needed a bit of rebuilding. got it back together and is better than new. getting this one ready to sale once complete. very happy with the progress to this point. got a new bezel and a new lens in the box ready to go. this cluster originally came with a 67-68 bezel, but I'm going with a non-choke 69-72 unit; even though '69 would have been the last year for the s.w.

to this point:

media blasted all 5 tins. ammeter/temp tin, oil pressure(vacuum/air) tin, rear tin, fuel gauge tin, and inner tin. most of the time, these tins will have rust SOMEWHERE!

tins paint: Valspar spray cans from Lowes for the tins.
-leaf green in satin for the reflective inner tins
-flat white for the inner ammeter/temp/oil pressure tin
-satin black for the inner tin face
-and a little trick here, the rear outer tin is usually a gray or a natural metal color. after media blast, apply 3 even coats of Valspar flat clear. it looks exactly like the factory finish.

gauge paint: Plastikote "orange glow" (in small spray can from Wal Mart)duplicates the needle color almost exactly. a great way to liven up those sunfaded gauges!

anyway, I'll update this thread when I get more accomplished. just thought you all would like to have some info on paints and processes of restoring these great old gauges....... and restoring a cluster is not that difficult!! buy a cheap set of standard gauges for $20 and see what you can do!!! nothing like looking through that steering wheel to fresh gauges.

a pic of the front of the rear tin with gauges and light tubes in place:

a pic of the rear of the rear tin. note the hole for the speedwarning control cable and the grounding stud:

to be continued.......

-1976 SILVERADO
YUBA GOLD/NEUTRAL (2-TONE)
HotRod C/10 is offline   Reply With Quote