View Single Post
Old 04-15-2012, 10:13 AM   #26
special-K
Special Order

Re: Are New NOS GM door handles "defects/seconds"?

They didn't have bar codes in '72 and for years beyond. The grilles GM was selling up until recently were not N.O.S.,they were new and reproduced. They are from the GM Restoration Parts program. We've all seen how a car maker doesn't care about replacement parts once a vehicle drops back so many years. If you can't find the part or don't want junkyard parts then buy a new car. That's their attitude. There had to be a law made to force them to carry parts for what they sell for 10 years. It took GM selling companies licensing for them to see the market was good on parts for older vehicles. It wasn't always this way. GM realized they could sell these same parts. In fact,they could even use the GM part numbers and,of course,package them in GM boxes. Some parts may very well be as good as the original. But the fact is they are not the original parts used on these trucks nor are they made by the same jobbers. Companies like Golden State Pickup Parts originally went all over the country systematically buying up N.O.S. which lead to a more rapid depletion of parts surpluses. Individuals did the same things and I was one. I stopped buying up stuff once the GM Parts Restoration program began because I had no way of knowing what I was getting and I could get the same parts anywhere. Golden State also bought old GM tooling that survived and started remaking some parts. They also made tooling that didn't survive to GM specs from original GM prints. The point is,there are many reproduction parts made that are just as good as original and some that aren't close. How do you know other than "buy and try" or finding out here. With true N.O.S. you know you are getting the same part as what came on the truck and that's why it costs more. A part that was re-made after original parts were depleted isn't worth any more if it was made 20 years ago or 20 days ago. Even if a part has been continually made,a part that was made in 67-72 is still N.O.S. Most likely that N.O.S. part won't be as expensive as a part that dealers haven't had for 20+ years.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote