Thread: Summer of 69
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2012, 08:24 AM   #10
RestoreAmerica

Re: Summer of 69

Painted the Chassis the other day. We purchased a HF Media Blaster and blasted all the frame components after removing all the grime by first using engine cleaner, then scraping with putty knife/wire brush followed by another dose of engine cleaner, then finished up with stale gas and scotchbrite. I think that the media blaster worked pretty darn good on the clean frame. When I got to areas that were stubborn to clean it was because there was grime still attached to the metal. The front suspension crossmember and transmission crossmember had sludge that I felt would not get cleaned to my satisfaction without removal so we took those off.
We put on 2 coats of Epoxy Primer followed by 2 coats of Satin Acrylic Urethane Enamel. Sprayed it with our new Devilbiss HVLP. I think the best thing we have done so far was to buy that new spray gun. Lots of curves, nooks and crannies on the frame and I put laid the material on wet. I was amazed that there were no runs. Boy it looks picture perfect close up. I don't think that would have been possible with the old siphon feed gun.
Attached Images

Last edited by RestoreAmerica; 04-21-2012 at 05:20 AM.
RestoreAmerica is offline   Reply With Quote