View Single Post
Old 09-20-2003, 03:36 PM   #1
BookMan

driveshaft repair

I just fixed my broken driveshaft in an interesting way that I thought some of you fellow hillbilly-ers might appreciate.
My driveshaft was cut at some point in its life and someone tried to weld it back together. They didn't do a very good job and it broke right at the cut/spot weld.
What I did was to go to the hardware store and buy a 4 inch length of 2 inch interior diameter galvanized pipe which fit over the driveshaft perfectly. Then I drilled 2 holes all the way through both the pipe and driveshaft at two different points perpendicular to each other. So that one bolt goes all the way through each end of the broken driveshaft. I don't really think I needed to but then I welded the new pipe to the driveshaft.
I haven't actually put it back in yet but it looks strong as hell and I bet its going to work great
Granted it won't be balanced but since I intend to change engines and trans soon I think it will be a perfect temporary fix so I can at least get the truck into the shop under its own power.
BookMan is offline   Reply With Quote