View Single Post
Old 04-25-2012, 01:48 PM   #16
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Re: Refreshing my daily driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75ChevyGuy View Post
Glad to see your taking the time to really make this truck right!
Thank you. I've been plugging away with the rear suspension today. Those Belltech c-notches are a pain to install. Lots and lots of drilling holes in the frame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashed View Post
Tx Firefighter ,I love your truck .What kind of mileage do you get with that combo ? I may be looking for another daily driver soon as my 72 Chevy truck that was supposed to be my daily driver is in bodyshop prison and will be for quite a while. I drive a long bed version of that truck for work but rarely ever get out of 2nd gear as I rarely ever leave the university campus and a tank of gas lasts over a month so it wont give me an accurate measure of mpg.
I treat the truck very gentle when I drive it. It's a 350/5 speed with 3.08 gears. On the highway, I get 19 miles per gallon. I have to stipulate though that the engine is hurt and it's wore out. The truck burns a quart of oil every 300 miles or so and uses a gallon of coolant per tank of fuel. Yes, it's that bad. The previous owner overheated it badly and collapsed the rings and apparently blew the head gaskets somewhat. It's somewhere between a 6 and a 7 cylinder engine depending on what day it is. As soon as I get this suspension work done this week I'm going to tear down an extra 350 core engine I have in the shop and start the rebuild process. The prices on crate engines have gone high enough that I'll build rather than replace.