View Single Post
Old 04-25-2012, 09:02 PM   #38
bsccp

Re: 51 GMC 5 window+S10+5.3/4l60E

Finally, some paint! There is a sandblaster about 3 miles from my shop and he is very patient and tolerant of my project and understands car things. So he soda blasted the door skins and sand blasted the inside and jambs. Knew I had some rust on the inside door bottoms, right under the weather strip of course but discovered some on top of the door! Of well not a big deal just some more MIG practice.

Built the paint rack using leftover 2x4's and some framing brackets and so far its pretty stable! Shot epoxy primer rather than self etch due to it plays better with repair work, etc.

Due to work I had to wait 4 days to paint but thankfully the humidity was around 5% so the surface flash wasn't too bad. Washed it down with plain water to remove the soda and sand and then hit it with degreaser. Didn't have to blow it dry due to it being almost 100 degrees!

Took about a quart and a half to cover, including hinges. Still fine tuning my cheapo HF gun but it lays out very well. It cost almost as much to paint as did the soda/sand blast ($125).

Next on to the cab. Should be cheaper due to it being all sand blast
Attached Images

bsccp is offline   Reply With Quote