View Single Post
Old 04-30-2012, 02:24 PM   #31
mountie

Re: 91 c1500 stutter on acceleration

Quote:
Originally Posted by badass66ss View Post
Alright guys, we had some time to work on the truck this weekend. We pulled the bed and checked the fuel pump. The strainer was full of black stuff so we changed the pump and strainer, blew out the fuel lines, and buttoned everything back up. We then decided to check the cat. When we pulled it off it was about 60% plugged, we replaced it with a high flow 3" cat. Finally, we decided to pull the valve covers and check valve adjustment. Adjustment looked good so no change here. Took her for a test drive, no change... The only item that has not been replaced is the EGR, which I plan to test this week. Also, I was on empty yesterday after about a hour of driving around and filled up with Chevron 91. The truck seemed to run better, but I had a lot of "honey do" items in the back and could not get on it very hard. I am going to drive it tonight and see if there is a change or not. This leads me to think that the problem is ignition/timing related. I am currently 5 degrees advanced, maybe the wonderful low octane fuel that they shove down our throats just can't take it...
Generally, if you were not getting engine ping with regular gas, regular is the best choice. Regular is also the cleanest gas at the pump due to the storage tank getting cycled more than the other tanks at the station.

My truck's OEM timing mark is "0". If you are 5 degrees off, that could be an issue.
mountie is offline   Reply With Quote