View Single Post
Old 04-30-2012, 05:41 PM   #149
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Re: Markeb01 Build Thread

I spent most of the day yesterday getting the garage ready to start working on the windshield trim. I needed a clean open space to hold the trim while it’s being worked on. This inspired moving the DVD/TV off the clean bench onto a wall shelf, which was a nice improvement all around:

For a baseline I took a few photos of the windshield trim, identifying the problem areas needing attention. The driver side upper piece has no blemishes and requires only polishing. The other three pieces have a few defects:

This is the lower driver side piece, and has the most problems. The lower edge appears to have been hit with a careless D/A sander along the bottom edge. There’s also a ding and a depressed area closer to the corner, and it either has overspray or may have been sandblasted from years of road exposure:

More towards the center of the truck the same piece has a bunch of vertical scratches and a small single ding:

Similar defects mark the lower passenger side as well:

And the biggest dent of all (actually 2 small dents) on the lower passenger side:

The upper passenger side has 2 problems, a pretty decent scratch on the right and a bend in the outer corner which is changing the profile, narrowing the trim:

Luckily all the caps are there and in good condition:

I’ll probably give everything a good cleaning and mild sanding before starting on the ding/dent removal so they are more easily detectable.

I haven’t yet determined where to buy the windshield seal. Since I’ve waited this long I’m actually dragging my feet until after the trim is finished just in case I mangle a piece with the buffer. I think the last time I destroyed anything with a buffer was in the 1960’s, but anything can happen.

More to follow.