View Single Post
Old 05-01-2012, 12:57 AM   #18
Ford Assassin

Re: Bought my old K5 back, now receiving a 5.3 swap...

Another update...

The truck has been running for over two months without fail, 18-19 mpg highway, 12-13 towing on the highway, 14-15 city.

But I have found out that I have lost all interest in off-roading....

As such I am not interested in climbing into this thing forever, so I have decided to convert to 2wd.

I already bought a front frame section w/suspension along with a 8.5" 10 Bolt with 3.42 gears (open) and rear spring hangers.

I already have a brand new set of gray Boss 338 20x8.5" & 20x10" I bought for another project that'll go to the K5 instead. I bought a set of used, but nice tires today for $200 mounted/balanced, 245/45/20 for the fronts and 275/40/20 for the rear.

I also bought a DJM axle flip kit for the rear, says its good for 5-6" of drop, but I plan to retain as many (or all) of my existing rear leaf springs because when towing it doesn't sag more than an inch. This is something I want to keep. If I need more rear drop, there are always drop shackles too.

I have already tore the front suspension completely down, going to replace the old rubber bushings in the control arms and sway bars with poly-urethane. I am also going to replace the ball joints (still the originals) while I have everything apart.

I am on the cheap so I am just going to cut a coil (using a cut off wheel) to set my ride height, will replace with drop spindles down the road.

I have to have the stock 1.25" rotors modified to work with my Boss wheels too, no biggie, just some minor work on the lathe.

-K5 Blazer 2wd: 6.0 LQ4, 7875 Turbo, Tick Stage II Turbo Cam, Built 4L80e, RevMax Billet 3600, 9.5" 14 Bolt
-Chevy 3+3 Crew Cab Dually: Cummins 12v P-Pump Swap, Compound Turbos, A2W Intercooler, NV4500HD, 4wd conversion, Radius Arms, Coilovers, Crossover Steering, etc
Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=803608

Last edited by Ford Assassin; 05-01-2012 at 01:13 AM.
Ford Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote