View Single Post
Old 05-04-2012, 11:03 PM   #1
madchopper

Rear Locker Question

I have a GM 14 bolt rear open rear end that needs to be rebuilt, pinion bearings are going out. I would like to put a locker in when the rebuild gets done but not exactly sure on which type of locker to use. I use my 67 GMC K20 4x4 for both highway and off road when getting firewood or hunting trips. I do not like the one tire fire that I have right now.

I have heard very good things about the Eaton Detroit trutrac with no clutches to worry about, but will the rear end pop and bind on pavement and not dirt? The guy here in Spokane, WA that I was referred to recommends the Eaton Posi locker that is more forgiving on pavement but still does a very good job on dirt, mud, and snow. I am just not sold on the clutches w/i the locker and what would be the interval on when those need to be replaced or maintenance interval??? I have a 2007 Chevy 1/2T 4x4 work truck that has limited slip rear end and it does very good in the mud, snow, and dirt either in 2 or 4-wheeel drive. I work as a forester so it gets used regularly. Any thought advice or recommendations would be very helpful, Thanks.
madchopper is offline   Reply With Quote