View Single Post
Old 05-05-2012, 07:08 AM   #3
special-K
Special Order

Re: Rear Locker Question

The Tru-Trac is probably just what you want. The way I understand the Torsen type traction devices to work is the opposite of an open,as far as the power goes to the wheel with the most resistance where an open rear puts the power to the wheel with least resistance (the one in trouble). At least that's how Gleason Torsen diffs work. I have run the Tru-Trac and honestly never studied just what it did. But,I used it in the front for just the reason that it is strong,locks when needed,and allows different side to side wheel speed making it as close to a locker you can get for a front end,since a locker would only be good fir full time off road poor traction.
I have never had a Detroit Locker rear pop or pull a vehicle. They are blood simple. They do what their name says. You have both wheels in traction all the time. So,when making a tight turn,such as parking or making a right turn from a stop,you have to feather the throttle or spin the inner wheel. It just takes a technique to drive and there are no other problems,except times off road such as on a slippery hillside where you don't want both wheels under power and a locker will bring the rear around. Most times on and off throttle will correct,but when momentum is needed off throttle isn't an option, If you have the wiggle room you just steer to correct and crab your way out. But,if there's a tree...
If ockers were no good for the street they never would have been used in trucks made to register on the road. Lockers are bad for on road use just like low gears and mud tires. A 4wd that performs well off road is a compromise on road...and I love it! I like having something that can do what other vehicles can do (go down the road) and can do what other vehicles can't do (get anywhere off road). The 4wd may not go down the road with as much grace as a car,but a car (or factory equipped 4wd) can't go much of anywhere at all off road.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote