View Single Post
Old 05-06-2012, 12:02 PM   #10
snj8198

Re: Rear Locker Question

**This feedback regards the FF14 bolt application only.

The Grizzly locker is Yukon Gear's answer to Detroit's solid market share with 14 bolt lovers. If you look at them side by side they look all too similar. But Yukon, through some reverse engineering and listening to customer feedback on the Detroit, addressed the minor issues users had with the Detroit locker.

For ever, the 14 bolt Detroit locker could be had for $383.99 then a few years ago it jumped to roughly $425. When they first entered the 14 bolt market, Yukon strategically undercut Detroit's price for about 18 months to gain niche market traction and offered a "no questions asked" 1 year warranty. Now that they have gained attention from the 14 bolt crowd their prices have grown comparable with Detroit's.

The major issues Detroit users were experiencing were:

1: it was so tough that if a 14 bolt user did experience locker failure it often resulted in axle spline twist or total axle failure.

2: mall crawler crowds found them too harsh on the street.

Come to find out, the majority of 14 bolt Detroit locker sales are indeed to novelty users of the product. These users made note of the locker's harshness and burly, unfriendly on street mannerisms. (What did they expect?) This ideology is similar to one saying "I want a truck but I don't want it to ride like a truck" (which has castrated our consumer truck market IMHO.) Regardless, this feedback was carefully considered by Yukon and the end result is their Grizzly Locker which indeed is less harsh in typical locker mannerisms yet in structural design is every bit as tough as the Detroit Locker.

Quote:
I agree with sjn8198 that the weather here in Spokane is comparable to what you have in Kalispell, MT, so I might have to give the grizzly a try, mind askin what ya paid for it?
I found mine used from a guy who changed directions on a project. Excellent deal.

Quote:
I guess I am a littl on confused when you guys mention a new driving style? Does this mean no tight corners on paved surfaces or what I am I missin?
That's about it sir. You'll want to coast through corners and not power into sharp turns or you'll lock the rear and squeal tires. Don't get wrong, it's neat! But it tends to shave the life off tires quick and also gets you noticed by Johny Law, both by which are pricey. Don't forget the adverse weather conditions we get in our regions. Stick your truck sideways on an icy highway at 60 and your ass will take a bite right out of your seat!

To be perfectly honest, i hardly know it's back there except for an occasional bang or pop when unlocking in certain circumstances.

oldspowered67C10:

I completely agree that selectable is the route to go. However, as you know, only the ARB air locker is available for the FF14 bolt crowd. This is a $1000 affair plus the cost of a compressor. That'a a bit rich for most blood.

-steve