Thread: Make it handle
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2012, 03:21 PM   #1225
robnolimit

Re: Make it handle

You asked, so please listen carefully I have cut and welded on many a spindle. Almost always in a situation where I had control over the periodic inspection of the car/truck. My F-100, the 'Bullit, has been on welded spindles fo years. These were the prototypes for our ZG spindles now used on our Wide-Ride IFS. You have to be carefull, you have to start with a good spindle, and you have to weld it, really weld it. If I cut a steering arm off to reposition it, once i have it fitted for the new location, I gring a 3/8" bevel on both the spindle body and the arm to put the weld in. Then i smoothe weld out and fishplate the seam with 3/16 cold roll on the inside and outside. I usually MIG the first welds, then TIG the fishplate. Moving the outer TRE out toward the rotor can help with ackermen, but may start to interfere with the rim. - making the arm shorter can make the steering quicker, both of these can play havoc with the bumpsteer. Usually I'd say not to move it more than 1/2" in any direction.
2011 Truckin' Throwdown Champion
GoodGuys 2010 National Champion

Proud to put our products up against all others!
robnolimit is offline   Reply With Quote