Thread: poppin out?
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2003, 11:36 AM   #14
jewels.

Quote:
Originally posted by Fred T
If it's popping out of gear it's a tranny problem. Disconnect the linkage and remove the side plate. You will probably find some gear teeth or bearings laying in the bottom.

Actually, the Saginaw 3 speed is pretty easy to work on if you have the factory overhaul manual. There aren't that many shops around that work on manual boxes. Be sure the front and rear seals get replaced while it's apart, and figure on a new clutch, too.

Last manual box on I worked on I ended up buying another from a junkyard about two years later. I had replaced the bearings and seals and fixed a vibration problem. Later one of the gears broke, and the parts would have cost me more than a junkyard tranny.
so you are saying i could rebuild it myself? does it take a lot of specific tools to rebuild? like a good set of mics? or is it more along the lines of an engine rebuild - where i just might need a torque wrench or just plain tools? hmm - now you've got me intrigued!

as for the linkage bein loose - i would almost guess that it isnt the problem because fine69 (mike) spent quite a few hours at the ohio meet adjusting my linkage so that it was just perfect, and working quite well.... my guess is that it is probably the bearings or somethin in the tranny that is worn out....

jewels.