View Single Post
Old 05-23-2012, 04:52 PM   #3
MrSchaeferPants

Re: Newer trucks vs. Older trucks

Are you refering to the post where the guy is driving to TX?

Depends on how you look at it. The easy answer is yes. But of course, like most everything, 90% is the driver. The harder part is, an older vehicle could be just as good.

Technology. You have disc brakes, abs, better power steering, better power brakes (I don't even have power brakes in my 68, or power steering) but those that do, ever turn a steering wheel in a brand new truck, vs one in something 20-40 years old? Turn radius is smaller on newer vehicles, they handle much better, more aerodynamic. Have a semi pass you by at 65mph with a cinder block truck, trailer, with something else big and heavy on it, possibly strong winds depending where you're driving.

Also, old truck as in... parts being old? Yeah, 40 year old ball joints, steering linkage, drums, axles, diffs, drive shafts, engine/trans, bolts/screws/fastners.

If your old truck was 100% restored, in working order, and updated brakes, steering, trans, it could be just about as good. It's still a cinder block on wheels though, and fanagle an older truck that takes a football field to make a u-turn, with a trailer.

Depends on how you wanna look at it. MOST of that can be compensated by the driver. I plan on towing/hauling with my 68, but not till I put in a brake controller, 7-pin, power brakes (prolly do disc at the same time) and power steering. But that's cause my trucks a work truck. IF I had a 2012 Cummins or Duramax, I'd use that. But I don't. Only thing I towed with my 68 so far was a wood chipper, mostly highway for like 14 miles, and back when I was done. I CAN tow whatever with it now, but how would I feel if something failed because it wasn't more capable?

Oh and weight. Heavier you are vs. your load, the better, always. PLUS length, same truck shortbed vs. longbed the longbed will always win.

And like yuccales said, comfort of a new truck is nice on long hauls.