Thread: '70 c10
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2012, 06:50 PM   #11
Ds86C10
2WD 4 Life

Re: '70 c10

i think the motor is on the way out... it wouldnt start the other day and looking under the hood with the air cleaner off, its pretty clear the previous owner was more of a hacker than i thought... cables and linkage to the carb, held on with zip ties... spark plug wires, some melted on the manifolds and also zip tied together. very leaky valve cover gaskets. tranny inspection cover, missing. cant quite tell for sure but the rear main oil seal looks to be leaking but may just be form the valve cover leaks. heater core looped off, so hose from water pump goes right to the intake, zip tied to the fuel filter...
and the best part of all for some reason i touched the distributor. and it turned very easily.

so the timing is all jacked up now before it ran like crap but still had good power but felt like it could use a good tune up... yes yes it needs it badly. But i got it to start and turned the distributor a little and now from a cold start it pops right off and dosent die when you go to leave, before 2 pumps and it would start and run crappy and stall. NOW when you get on it more than half throttle it sounds like valve train noise, like ****ing marbles on the valves and leaves a good cloud if you hammer from a stop. Before it didnt make any weird noise at wide open throttle.

hopefully ill be able to replace all the bad ignition stuff this weekend and throw a timing light on it and attempt to fix it and see if the noise and crap goes away, even though i know it smokes from the drivers side bank of the motor at idle once its hot but it doesnt always do it..

OH and when it wouldnt start. the starter would engage the fly wheel but wouldnt spin it, like the motor was locked up... i could keep trying to start and then it would turn over and start.. fml
1978 king cobra
Ds86C10 is offline   Reply With Quote