View Single Post
Old 05-24-2012, 02:54 PM   #32
406 Q-ship

Re: Newer trucks vs. Older trucks

Here is my take on this is that stock for stock it would depend on the year of the older truck. The 67-70 would not be the best at towing with the poor drum brakes but after 1971 with disc brakes they make good tow vehicles. With a few modifications the older trucks will do anything a later truck can do (not necessarily as efficiently). One of the reasons that the later truck seem so much better is the construction of the vehicle to be more quiet while driving, sound deadner is what makes the later truck seem so much better. That is when you have equal vehicles, not a 45 year old worn out truck trying to match a brand new truck, but two vehicle of equal wear and tear.

Now put late model drivetrain in an early truck ....homerun.

A new truck can break towing just as easily as a old truck, in fact I trust a old truck I have maintained over a late model for dependablity, I am not saying that new trucks are junk just that it is easier to maintain the old stuff and I know it can be trusted too.

This is from the guy who drove my 67 to Florida last X-mas (my 1968 Chevelle has made the trip twice).

Where patience fails, force prevails

Stapp's Ironical Paradox "The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle."
406 Q-ship is offline   Reply With Quote