View Single Post
Old 05-27-2012, 07:10 PM   #164
Atommik

Re: 51 Chevy 1/2 ton, My S10 swap

Today I tried something I read about in a magazine (I think) about making a one piece headliner.

Tape off the outside edge of the roof panel, making a lip with the tape. Then cover the roof with aluminum foil, taping it down and covering all the seams with clear packing tape. (The article said scotch tape but I didn't have enough...)

Then carefully lay in fibergalss cloth or mat and resin to cover the foil. I used two layers, I'll see after it sets up if it is rigid enough. I think I will need more. When it is hardened, the fiberglass is supposed seperate fairly easily from the foil leaving a "shell" that is roughly the same shape as the inside of the roof/ headliner. The side of the fiberglass that is face down on the top of the roof, will be the visible side of the headliner. I plan to lay a little foam padding and the fabric to complete it. (if this works!) Then carefully trim the shell to fit inside the cab as the headliner. Here's a few pics...I'll post more info and pics as this process continues!! I'm still thinking about how I will attach it in place...
Attached Images

Atommik is offline   Reply With Quote