View Single Post
Old 05-29-2012, 05:18 PM   #138
thetorchess

Re: NOS Tachometer, Guage/Faceplate and Circuit boards for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70LonghornCST View Post
Securing a Tachometer for Shipping

1. You will need a pen, cardboard, and a ruler. You will need to create a center stabilizer for the tach first.

2. Trace the tach box perimeter onto the cardboard sheet.

3. Find the center of the cardboard square as indicated in the following pictures.

4. Measure (estimate) the center cylinder of the tachometer (diameter)

5. Draw two lines--the diameter of the tach center--onto the cardboard at the center.

6. Draw a circle around the + created in the center

7. Cut out the square

8. cut out the center circle, such that there is a cut from the edge to the center circle

9. insert the tachometer carefully into the center are of the cardboard

10. Carefully insert the tach/cardboard stabilizer into the original box.

11. Next, you will need to create top cap to help protect the needle and face of the tach. Trace the tach box onto the extra cardboard. Leave about 1 & 1/4" flaps on each end as indicated in the picture

12. Cut out the top cap and fold along the extra end lines.

13. Trace out a center section the same thickness of the ruler about 3-4 inches long

14. Cut through along the lines with scissors

15. Cut a long strip (5-6 inches) of cardboard and insert it in the slit as pictured

16. Fold, then staple

18. Insert the cap carefully over the tach. Make sure that the end tabs clear the face of the tach and go down past it along the edge of the box.

This will provide a handle for easily removing the cover without risk of damaging the tach.

18. Fill in the remaining area with packing material and seal the box.

This is how you will recieve the tach back. The claim was mine, not 70shortfleet
Thank you for the detailed pictures. I had NO idea that these were so fragile and needed to be packed in this manor. Yes, I made the mistake on my earlier post. Again, my apologies.....you guys have me freaked out and afraid to post anything now! But, valuable lesson learned. Thanks.

Last edited by thetorchess; 05-30-2012 at 09:28 PM. Reason: quote already on sight
thetorchess is offline   Reply With Quote