View Single Post
Old 06-12-2012, 04:01 PM   #83
dug224

Re: Dug's 1959 Fleetside

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricott View Post
Thanks again for posting your progress. What size tires did you ultimately wind up with in the front and back? Also, did you see any clearance issues under the cab when the cab was 3.5 inches over the frame (other than the engine manifold issue and the Tranny)?

While looking at your pictures, I saw your concern about the TB intake manifold hitting the hood bracing. When you get the alternator installed, you may have additional clearance problems in that area. The book will probably show a 135 amp alternator for this vehicle (trailblazer 5.3), but the more plentiful 110 (or115) amp truck version will work just fine. Since you will not have duel AC units and all the other goodies that normally went with the Trailblazer 5.3, I don’t see the need for the higher rated (and more expensive) 135 amp alternator. This is what we did on the GTO to save a few dollars. You can reduce the height of your engine by several inches if you were to switch to the LS1/6 Intake manifold and the Corvette accessory drive system. Using the insight gained from your build, I think this is what I will do. Again, thanks for all your hard work and documentation.

Ricky
Ricky: Tire size 245-45-18 front and 255-55-18 rear. Factory wheel is 18 x 8. I would not have been offended by a sligthly taller front tire. Always thought I would resort the Vette intake if I had to. Studied the alternator last night. It should work based on its relative location to the cross member under the hood. Stay tuned on this one.

Other issues 1: The first set of cab mounting brackets I had to cut off the frame were those that interfered with the rear cab corners. They have to come off to even get started. I reused them on top of the frame for the rear mounts.

Other issues 2: Part of the fuel tank interfered, or so I thought, with the bottom of the cab. See photo below. Front right of the fuel cell. The grey thing sticking up. I cut a 10x10 section out of the floor. Turns out, it was not necessary. I will weld it back in. Any work I do on the fuel tank will require me to drop the tank which I probably would have had to do if in the Trailblazer.

Other issues 3: Turns out, after trimming the bottom brackets off of the core support and fitting the old core support in place, the factory radiator fits where it belongs except the bottom pipe fitting hits the cross member. Will use a new radiator that supports the 5.3 and have someone weld a 90 degree elbow turned up onto the radiator.

Other issues 4: The transmission mounting bracket does not quite reach the trans cross member. Will have to build a bracket for it to reach. Have not studied this too closely. May be able to move the cross member. Got my new transmission rubber mount today and will look more closely at it tonight or tomorrow.

Dug
Attached Images

dug224 is offline   Reply With Quote