View Single Post
Old 06-12-2012, 09:18 PM   #1
Nopocustoms

1966 C20 LWB onto 1977 Suburban C10 Chassis

First, I am new to the site I find it to be a great help in research, so for my first post - I have some questions, the trucks story, the plan, and many pictures of the build coming very soon!

I am 31, been a car nut since 14, I currently work for the Military full time and have a hobby shop that takes up all my free time! I also have a slight fishing problem...

The truck, during my last Iraq deployment I had my little brother on the hunt for a 60-66 chevy truck for me - and a week before I came home - he saw this gem on a flatbed heading down the road towards Schnitzer Steel (scrap yard) He honked and flashed his lights - the guy pulled over, and sure enough - My brother gave him 400 bucks for it on the spot - The guy even had a clean title in hand, and it was a 1 owner truck with 75 K miles on it -

It is 100% original and has a nice patina -
4 Barrel 327
TH400
Mark IV Roamer AC
Drum Brakes all around

The day I got home, I pulled the tank - cleaned it up, sanded the points - and she was a driver, after not moving since 1977. I cut some coils, Heated the rears and put about a hundred miles on it - then all the stuff that sat started failing - the brakes are done - lost 3 wheel cylinders and the lining fell off the rear shoes - the transmission doesn't always shift into 3rd. You get the idea - I love the truck however and bought a super clean 1977 suburban c10 2wd with a 454 and TH400 for about the cost of a full brake job and steering box on the 1966!

So - What hang ups will I hit when I pop the Burb Body off and set my cab on it? I have A Mig, Tig, Stick, OxyAcet, Plasma Cutter, bandsaw, tubing bender, drill press, lathe and milling machine at my shop, so I have no concerns about cutting off and welding on body mounts and such - I am concerned about the floor pan - but the frames appear to be the same width front and rear?

I originally intended to use the front crossmember, and rearend But I like the way the burb drives, and it would seem better to chagne the whole mess as opposed to hangning it together. Thoughts?

Thanks I look forward to the responses.
Attached Images

Nopocustoms is offline   Reply With Quote