View Single Post
Old 06-16-2012, 12:58 PM   #62
vectorit
What?

Re: gonna whine for awhile. Please say something encouraging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ole dollor View Post
vectorit:i beg to differ on that the hole in the front of the block that helps you hold the fuel pump rod up can only produce a very small oil leak, and could not be the problem, i have seen several like this and they would not leak much just running setting still, but you take it out and drive around a while and oil will be everywhere , it needs the bolt anyway , i beleive that this will cure his problem, but we all know that these old chevy's can have more that one place dripping, it could be a valve cover, timing cover, crank seal, oil pan, intake gasket. bad dip stick tube......and on and on....lets take it one leak at a time, and let him enjoy his new ride.....
I wasn't saying not to fix that, more like fix it and move on to the other leaks.
In his photo's there is a large amount of fresh pooled oil, which tells me that there is a large gap somewhere letting oil out.
My money is on the rear intake seal, and the valve covers as being the main contributors to the oil mess.

But judging by the look of the engine, I would be thinking about doing an entire engine re seal. That is me because I know how to do that stuff fairly easy and cheaply, where as in the OP's case he is on the other side of that spectrum with a tight budget, no place to perform the work, and skill level.

One leak fix at a time for sure, but right now I would find that leak quick because the current situation looks like a fire hazard.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote