View Single Post
Old 07-03-2012, 07:32 PM   #114
bobs409
1969 Custom 30 wrecker

Re: 69 Custom 30 wrecker restoration

Well for this update, I buffed out the stainless window trim and got the rear glass back in. It's only the second one of these I've done and it went very well.

I had a glass shop come to my house to put in a new windshield but things did not go well with it. I supplied the gasket and it's was a piece of !@@$ Never again will I buy anything made by Superseal! The rubber was way too soft and appeared to be too large. With the rubber on the glass and the trim installed, it would barely hold it in place. Looked all distorted like it was too big and the trim groove was not shaped correctly.

The guys attempted to install it hoping that would straighten it out but went terrible. They actually got it all the way in but there were gaps between the trim and glass and didn't look right from gasket to the body. Horrible! Back out it came. They are ordering another brand (Precision) and will come back again in a few days for attempt #2. (fingers crossed)

-------------------

Windshield attempt #2:

I’m happy to say, this attempt was successful. Using a Precision brand gasket this time, it installed easily and looks fantastic! After installing, the guys injected sealer into the area behind the gasket. A very nice job and looks great! Nothing like a brand new windshield and another item gets crossed off the list. (pic #1) (note air cleaner is still in red primer, will be painted soon)

Next I got started on the passenger side door. With the outer skin removed (last year) I now focused my attention to replacing the lower inner panel. Repro’s of these aren’t “exactly” shaped perfectly (big surprise there) but I don’t have any major troubles installing these. (these will be my 3rd pair that I’ve done) It’s best to only use as much of the new panel as needed. I typically only use the lower 4-1/2 inches of these. It takes a lot of time measuring and scribing but you want to spend the time now so you don’t cut too much of the door shell off. (pic #2)

Most people (myself included) might normally try to find door shells in better shape but I’m trying to keep as much original as I can so I chose to fix these.

I cleaned up the inner rust and used POR-15 on that area. Shown here doing a test fit in the door opening. (pic #3) Once all was well, the outer skin was installed and all welds completed. (pic #4)

I’m now working on the driver door then back to that oil pressure problem.

More to come, stay tuned. 
Attached Images

63 Impala 283/PG/3.36 (under restoration)
66 Impala 327/PG/3.36
66 Chevelle SS 409/M22/3.55
69 Chevelle 307/PG/3.08 (future restoration)
69 C10 short stepside 454/TH350/3.73
69 Custom 30 tow truck 350/4 spd/4.10 (resto done, CRUISIN TIME!)
71 Cheyenne 20 fleetside 350/4 spd/4.10
71 Chevelle 6/PG/3.08
72 Chevelle 454/M21/4.10
bobs409 is offline   Reply With Quote