View Single Post
Old 07-04-2012, 08:47 PM   #414
CC69Rat

Re: Project Grande Slam: Coley's Hot Rod Shop

Just some pictures from today. Dad and I worked on the cab floor and fixed the rust spot in the pic above. The patch was cut from a late model Ferd Expidention fender .. .. but oh well. It turned out really nice.

Once the grungy spots were fixed and / or POR-15'ed we began the sound proofing. I posted a question about this stuff a few weeks ago and got responses all over the place. One of which was this stuff you can get at Lowes that's a LOT like Dynamat / Fatmat. It comes in a roll, and is about $19 a roll. My cab took about 1.75 rolls but I didn't take the gas tank out. It stops at the bottom of the tank. I used this 'Duct Insulation' at Lowes. Then some metal repair tape I found at Ace HArdware. It worked really really well. To be honest, if it said Dynamat on it somewhere I wouldn't have known the difference. It's 1/8" thick too. Dynamat is sold in 60 or 80 mil versions. 120mils = 1/8". In no way knocking the ones with Dynamat, you just have a lot more money than I do. We did this whole floor for $41, including the tape and a Dr. Pepper.

The sound proofing is just there (for me) to kinda quieten the cab a little and make it feel more like the newer cars. More solid and air tight. Not for a huge stero system (not in this truck) .. The 68 might be different.

After the soundproofing 'Carpet !' ... $#^$*&$@!! We got high hump. We'll have to exchange but the parts guy is just about 35 or so min away. Dad's going to trade it next week. The carpet in the pics is high hump, that's why it's all wrinkled up.

The round mirror is on, the pedals have all been removed, painted, and new rubber / trim. The brake pedal trim was backordered from GMCPauls. I think it shipped yesterday we should have it soon.

If you notice the pics, the door rubber is off. I put the driver side on this afternoon and guys, .. if you need the door rubber get it from GMCPauls. It is incredible. Get the push on type. BIG Thanks to Paul. Great job on the repro.

We have new sill plates, an arm for the pass side door mirror (no screws to put it on yet) a tank cover / board thing, several things still on the way.

I couldn't resist ! I sat one of my buckets up in this truck just to see what it would look like. It is very tempting.. Humm .. Jonathan? I have a console already, and I could easily paint it sandalwood color !

Just other misc stuff, Dad rubbed around on the cab interior with some 3M Compound (what I call Black Wax) and man it came up really nice.

This truck is really coming together. Thought you might like to see some progress. ..

Thanks Pops for all your help today.
Attached Images

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)

Last edited by CC69Rat; 07-04-2012 at 08:48 PM. Reason: I cant spell
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote