View Single Post
Old 07-08-2012, 01:27 PM   #17
mr48chev

Re: 49 Chevy patina truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie View Post
Not to get into the discussion between whether the patina look is good or bad, but I am curious, is it that hard to save up for a shop paint job? Me being a newbie, I honestly have no idea what they go for. I thought you could get one done for around $1,500-$2,000. Am I way off?
Around here at least a lot depends on how much of the work you can do yourself and how well you can do it.

Around here if you can get the vehicle to the ready to shoot the final primer stage there are a few guys who are really good with a paint gun who will shoot the paint for a few hundred dollars. Over the past 50 years I've found that body and paint men are the original moonlighters and many will take on side jobs after their day of working for someone else in a regular shop.

The cost of the paint and materials has gotten pretty high these days and that is one thing that contributes to the high cost of nice paint along with labor costs.

This truck has a $10,000.00 paint job on it. It was taken from a really nice truck with a great body to what you see here at a friend of mine's body shop several years ago. The body is about as close to flawless as you will find even though the truck gets driven to at least one event a week along with being driven several times a week. I'm thinking that the paint was about 5 years old in the photos but I saw the truck a few weeks ago and it still looks like it just rolled out of the paint shop this year. The photo by the way was taken three years ago.
The cost was in taking it from old paint to bare metal and many hours of primering and blocking to get it perfect.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote