View Single Post
Old 07-11-2012, 12:30 PM   #12
mr48chev

Re: how about this swap?

You can see in the top two photos that the lower ball joint is about where the original tread center on a stock truck would be.

The frame width has never been an issue as outside of the 55/59 trucks the frames are pretty close to the same width with the half ton Ad trucks spreading out wider as they go back. The later trucks start out at about 28-1/2 taper out to the firewall and then stay the same width from the firewall to the rear bumper.

Anytime a guy does a subframe swap, frame swap or other wholesale frame change he ends up spending most of the time in the swap getting the sheet metal to line back up.
Sometimes it works pretty smoothly and others it is a total pain to deal with and takes many hours to get things lined up right.

As I said earlier I've seen some real abortions on frame swaps in this area. Usually done by buys with little or no skill and absolutely no eye or care for getting things right. Galvanized pipe fittings for body spacers, Torched out inner fenders for clearance and many other suspect things such as house plumbing pieces used to route radiator hoses. As I said before the truck in the photos actually looks like it has had some thought put into it. I'll swing by tonight after work and see if I can get some more photos.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote