View Single Post
Old 07-11-2012, 12:59 PM   #19
panhandler62
Java Mechanic

Re: Check this out-nice little 2-speed fan harness...

I think the larger issue is probably the way we too often do things. What looks cool is often the first criteria we lean on and too often we end up disappointed with the results.

I'll eventually have to choose which way to go with this. I'm not too worried right now because my front clip isn't even in the same building as my motor.

I'm not anti-electrics, just cautious that people might think it's an automatic change with no penalties. Dollar for dollar; the best you can possibly hope for (and are unlikely to realize) is 3 to 4 hp through reducing parasitic loss so if you focus is more power this probably isn't the best mod to spend money on.

If you are looking for better cooling a new copper finned radiator and the correct thermostat will probably yield better results.

If you are swapping to a serpentine system or dropping in an LS2 there probably isn't any place to even put a mechanical fan so it's a no-brainier in that case.

If you commute in stop and go traffic a couple of hours a day you might want to make the conversion to stay cool when idling in a crowd.

If you just think they look cool or wear your hair like Ted Nugent in 1981 and don't want to get caught in the fan those are valid reasons too, but if you just slap something in without some forethought and a bit of math; you might not like the results. As the price of that component in the OP suggests; moving to an electric fan setup can cost a few sheckles so I think the pros and cons should be carefully considered first.

We should also keep in mind that a fan that draws 20amps is using as much (or more) engine power as an AC compressor when it's running. I think some people do imagine that there is no draw on the engine when you use electric components. That's obviously wrong and it is information people should absorb.
68 C20 Fleetside -- RIP
Decorating the whole town up at a cost of $27 ....
panhandler62 is offline   Reply With Quote