View Single Post
Old 07-11-2012, 11:32 PM   #149
1774btcrew

Re: The Good, The Bad and Ugly from Harbor Freight

Let me start off by saying I have a parts locating business and spend the full day at the wrecking yard pulling parts. I have NO cheap tools in my junkyard bag at all with the exception of the harbor freight pick set. The fact is, I cannot afford to be at the wrecking yard and either mess up the part or not be able to get it because a cheap tool didn't work right. I also cannot afford to wait until the next day as I risk someone else getting the part before me. My tools are Snap On, Matco, Proto and Craftsman. That being said I NEVER pay retail on my tools and have had great luck scouring swapmeets, and yardsales to come up with some really incredible deals on quality tools. I am not one of those guys that has to have all of the newest, most expensive Snap On tools just to say I have them. What I will say is Snap On makes the best wrenches hands down.
The good
Screwdriver sets. These aren't bad and cheap enough to put in a tool box in each vehicle.
Gloves, good and cheap. It is hard to screw up gloves!
Their small 4 piece pick set. I use this on a daily basis. Literally! I am more than happy with these!
The bad
Pickle forks, these are JUNK! The fork spreads and flexes. Buy a good one. It will save a lot of headaches.
Snap ring pliers, these too are not worth owning! First time I squeezed the handles they bent!
Bearing seperater. This was on sale for $40 and I figured it would be fine for the occasional use. WRONG! The first time I used it one of the side bolts bent and the jaws chipped.
Steering wheel lock plate tool. These are junk as well. Too thin metal and bends/flexes with any tension at all on it.
Drill bits, weak and dull right away
Wrenches are a joke. These flex and never tight enough around the bolts.

Last edited by 1774btcrew; 07-11-2012 at 11:44 PM.
1774btcrew is offline   Reply With Quote