View Single Post
Old 07-12-2012, 10:16 AM   #8
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Re: Low Beam Relay Not Functioning

Quote:
Originally Posted by utee05 View Post
All 4 headlights come on when the dimmer switch is set to high beams. Should this not be the case cause H4 bulbs are both high/low bulbs? When the dimmer switch is set to low beams nothing comes on.

My original dimmer switch went out a couple of weeks ago (before relay conversion) so I just got a new dimmer switch. I would hope that the dimmer switch I just bought is good. I know my original dimmer switch is bad cause when I hook it back up all I hear are clicking noises coming from the fuse panel area and no lights turn on at all.

I have checked each terminal 30 on both relays and see that voltage is getting to each one. When the dimmer switch is set to High beam I see the switch power (85) on the High beam relay getting full voltage along with (87) get the same voltage.

85 turns on the relay so 87 gets voltage from 30. The same should happen at the low beam relay. Like I said, switch the wires that go to 85 from the dimmer switch and see if the lows come on. If they don't then the relay or the wiring from 87 to the low beam terminal on the light is not getting power to the light. Make sure that the low beams come on by connecting the wire at 30 to the wire at 87 with a short jumper. That's all the relay is doing.

Also my grounds are good on both relays. When the switch is set to high beams I checked the relay on the low beams and I do not see much power out of terminal 85 & 87. What should be the voltage at these terminals on the low beam relay when the dimmer switch is set to high beams?
That is correct there should be no power on the low beam relay when high beam is selected and vice versa except for terminal 30.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote