View Single Post
Old 07-16-2012, 01:40 AM   #560
mosesburb
I had a V-8

Re: The Story Of A Cummins Suburban (Lots Of Pics)

I went through the "4th door" recently. I replaced the window run channel, the belt moldings, the run in the division bar, cleaned and lubed the regulator and added some sound deadener to the inside of the quater panel and the inside of the interior metal. It turned out good. The metal has a real dull thump instead of the sheetmetal sound. While I had the seat out, I decided that having the ability to put a smaller seat in the back would be a good thing. The bench is nice, but when we are rolling out with just the three of us, we don't need a whole bench seat in back there. I had shopped for a single bucket to match the fronts a few times since I bought the front seats, but had never even seen a similar pattern, much less the same seat. This time I lucked out--sort of. I found a bucket seat that matched the front seats in style and fabric. The drawback was it was a little dirty.

Now nobody in their right mind would buy this, much less pay full price for it, but I did for the reasons stated above. The front seats I have now were pretty nasty when I got them (not quite as bad as this one) and they cleaned up almost perfectly, so I knew this one would clean up pretty good. Now, I forgot to take a picture of it, but you can see in this pic the seat is pretty bright. There is only a small area that still retains a very slight discoloration--very slight. Very impressive that a seat that funky could get even remotely clean, much less almost spotless.

This will give me room to trasport the fridge here instead of in back. I need to figure out a mounting system that does not require drilling more holes in the floor.

I picked up a laptop to run navigation programs on. It is a little Acer 10.1" that I have OziExplorer and Delorme Topo programs on. I then needed to come up with a laptop mount. Lance turned me on to a company called Jeniko. This company does mounts for industrial applications, but has some fantastic prices. If you have ever shopped for laptop mounts, you know something simple is a ton of money. I bought a floor mounted unit that had a six-hole mount that screwed to the floor. I don't like sheetmetal screws so I was going to use nuts and bolts. A problem arose when I looked under the body where the bolts were going to come through and found they were going to come through inside a body reinforcement channel with no way to put nuts on the bolts. I can use the sheetmetal screws, but I don't want to. I came up with a different idea that required no holes to be drilled in the floor. I made a bracket out of 1/4" flat stock and mounted it to the passenger seat frame with some 3/8-16 header bolts. Then I was able to drop the laptop base into it and go from there.

Once I got the upright in the bracket I found the second arm was not going to be long enough for what I was doing. I picked up a couple pieces of aluminum rems at the steel yard and one of them fit the bill nicely. I countersunk a socket head capscrew in it and made my own nut apparatus for the computer end and it worked out nicely.

The computer can be easily rotated for the passenger to view the screen.

In this pic you can see my mounting solution for the fridge on the floor.

A closer pic of it.

A little on the simple side, but it works great. I hook ratchet straps in the holes and run them around the ends of the fridge and hook them on the seat brackets on the passenger side. No movement whatsoever. It mounts into a seat bracket hole for the bench seat, so no new holes.