Thread: Make it handle
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2012, 11:53 PM   #1309
GMC Canuck

Re: Make it handle

ok, I'm in the planning stages of a tear down rebuild. I love my truck and it pains me to tear it apart cause I know this is more than a winter project but it's lasted 45 years and if it going to last another 45 some things need to be done.

I like the idea of a complete package. I know my strengths and happily defer to smarter people than me who have put together a system of parts that all works well together not the current mishmash of shinny bits I currently own.

I'm looking at no limits wideride front and fatbar rear or porterbuilts dropmember and tubular trailer arms setup or hotchkis' setup

Rob has mentioned several times about unsprung weight so it seems important (I know it is) and so I like his wideride setup. But for the rear, do I need a huge truck 12 bolt. Nope, the truck is never going to haul much more than a cooler. It's done it's time, paid it's dues and can now settle into a nice midlife crisis. I have a toyota to beat the crap out of. I've looked at irs but a custom setup is beyond my budget and retrofitting something like a mark VIII looks like a huge project with limitations on brake, wheel and ratio options. So is there a solid rear axle with a similar track width but maybe a little lighter? I'm not running any huge numbers for horsepower (375-400)

and thank you Rob and everyone else that has contributed or asked some really good questions.
GMC Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote